Friday, August 26, 2011

Our Classroom Norms: C.A.R.S.



Posting rules in my classroom has not been my strength. It’s a back-to-school expectation, but I have always struggled with this duty. I was a loop-hole sort of kid myself, and I was very good at developing my own interpretations of the meanings of the rules. Many an exhausted teacher suggested that I save my talents for debate or law school. As a result, I managed a somewhat successful career without this traditional list on the walls of my little lab.


Today, a student addressed this predicament for me. A gifted (former) graffiti artist, he came to me with a piece of paper and asked how to spell, “confidentiality . . . attendance . . . safety . . . “ After I wrote them for him, I went back to addressing the needs of the American History students.


Later, the young man told me I needed to turn and look at the “CARS” he had created. I turned to see the following in beautiful lettering on the blackboard:

Classroom Norms

confidentiality

Attendance

Respect

Safety

This addition to the lab stimulated a great deal of discussion but not any dissent. The following points were discussed:


Confidentiality-

Somewhere to let your guard down and someone to talk to without fear that your vulnerability will be someone’s entertainment.


Attendance-

Showing up means something. Someone cares enough to make you miserable when you don’t show up.


Respect-

Everyone. Everyday. All the time.


Safety-

Physical. Emotional. Creative. Cognitive. You can’t reach your full potential without it. School may be the only sanctuary available.


I like it . . . all of it. I like it a lot. I found the term, “norms,” especially interesting. This isn’t a list of ‘do’s’ and ‘don’ts;’ it’s simply the standard we have set for our community. Thank goodness I neglected to hang those rules.

1 comment:

  1. What a powerful day of learning in your "lab"! Kudos to your students for showing their maturity and realizing what it takes to create a productive learning environment. This is also an excellent example of how powerful learning can be when kids take ownership! Thanks for sharing this experience with me :)

    ReplyDelete