Friday, January 28, 2011

Compassion


My youngest daughter is clever, kind, loving, brave, creative, hilarious; and, she has heart disease. Right or wrong, I would love to remove this burden for her; but, that’s not our reality. The reality is that while this disease has created it’s share of pain, it has provided many, many wonderful experiences for us as well.

Her most recent procedure was earlier this month. It was minor (not open-heart), but it was the first she has had in over a year. My dolly had forgotten many of the discomforts of surgery, and she was not prepared. The insertion of the IV, waking up sore and confused, and spending a day without being able to sit up were unusual experiences for a little girl. This could be devastating. Thanks to a wonderful hospital with amazing staff and incredible volunteers; they were not. She received exceptional care. Nurses soothed and smiled. A volunteer visited with a therapy dog. Care partners brought movies and activities. The doctors were honestshemy girl talked on and on about the toy room, the chocolate ice cream she was served, and how she wanted to be a doctor when she grew up. I am so grateful that she wants to emulate, not fear, doctors. How wonderful that she has fond memories of her hospital experience.

While the professionals cared for my girl, my parents took care of me. Multiple surgeries have been a part of our lives. Mom and dad have been present for every one. Because they are retired? Nope, both work full time. Because I asked them to? Not at all, I would not have burdened them. Because I am an only child? Hardly! There are seven of us. My parents make family THE priority. They are two of the least selfish people I have ever known. I am humbled by their selflessness.

There’s more. The calls and messages I received from family and friends are countless. Throughout our many hospital stays, we have been showered with love and support. Her friends have sent handmade artwork. My friends and students have called, prayed, messaged, sent gifts, mowed my lawn, cared for my children, completed my shopping, visited, donated, and loved us. We are never alone.

Pope John XXIII stated, “If God created shadows it was to better emphasize the light.” The light in my life outshines the shadows. I do not welcome life’s pain, but I embrace the love and support that comes as a result. I am overwhelmed with compassion and love . . . I am blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment